Home > Temple Dairakuji
History and Outline
The predecessor of Temple Dairaku-ji, Temple Chotoku-ji of the Tendai sect―named after the Japanese era “Chotoku”―was build in the Heian period (794–ca. 1185) by Emperor Kazan as the official house of prayer for salvage from the natural disasters and epidemics that plagued the nation. It was renamed Dairaku-ji and converted to the Jodo sect in the Kamakura period (1185–1333), becoming the 20th temple on the Kannon pilgrimage route and the first in the Hokuriku region. Dairaku-ji has since been the temple at which to pray for long prosperity and happiness for the people of the Etchu Province, later replaced by Toyama Prefecture.
The hondo (main hall) of rare white-wall warehouse architecture was built in 1878 by owners of the kitamaebune (cargo ships) to protect the structure from the harsh elements of the Hokuriku region such as salt corrosion, gale, snow, high temperatures, and high humidity. The naijin (inner temple) expresses the Jodo Mandala, or a world of perfect bliss, with three statues of the Amida Buddha. The kekkai boundaries are marked with vermillion lacquer signifying a special temple. And the gaijin (outer temple) admits light through stained glass, constituting a modern cultural heritage typical of the early Meiji era (1868–1912).
Collection and Exhibition
Buildings (“hondo”・“kuri”)・・The main temple and the kitchen of this temple were designated as tangible cultural properties designated by the nation, the first selected among all temples across Japan (June 1997).
Sculptures・・・・More than 60 articles of sculpture of the Heian and Kamakura era including the statue of Amida Tathagata Buddha (1 cultural property designated by the city)
(Chinese-ink handwritings)・・More than 10 articles of Chinese-ink-handwriting of
the Muromachi and Edo period including
“Gomyogo-honzon” (the title of the principle icon of
Dairaku-ji) (1 cultural property designated by the
Paintings・・・・More than 50 articles of painting of the Muromachi and Edo period including “Honen-jyonin Goeden–juni(12)-no” (the painting by the venerable Honen) (1 cultural property designated by the city)
Books・・・・・ 2,100 books of the Edo period (written by the venerable Teigoku and
Others・・・・・300 folk and folk art materials and documents of the culture of the Japan Sea and 150 materials and documents of “kitamae-bune”(cargo ships for transportation and trade)
- 2-9 Tate-machi, Imizu-shi, Toyama-ken 934-0013 Japan
- +81 766-82-3016
- Contact this temple. (Requires a reservation in advance)
- Contact this temple.
- Parking provided
- Take Kaetsuno Manyo streetcar from JR Takaoka Station and get off at Shinmachi-guchi Station. 36.780364,137.087708
- The statue of Hibutsu-Kwannon having 1000 years history (It is not open to the public usually) and the Mida-Jodo temple where is a white-wall warehouse.