Home > Takaoka Manyo Historical Museum
History and Outline
Opened in October 1990 as the core facility of the hometown of Manyo promoted by Takaoka City. Takaoka Manyo Historical Museum is a museum and a facility for research concerned with the Man’yoshu (the earliest existing anthology of Japanese verses, composing of some 4,500 poems).
ProjectCollects, classifies, investigates and researches the Man’yoshu and documents concerned with it. Displays, publishes and offers places for spread education such as lectures.
Collection and Exhibition
Houses “dankan” (incomplete letters) of manuscript of the Man’yoshu such as “Amagasaki-bon-dankan” in the mid Heian era, “Kasuga-bon-dankan” in the mid Kamakura era, “Kanazawa-bunko-bon-dankan” in the early Muromachi era and copies of old manuscript such as “Katsura-bon”, “Ranshi-bon”, “Genryakuko-bon” “Kanazawa-bon” and “Tenji-bon”.
◆Permanent exhibition room
The “Yakamochi Theater” that introduces the life of Otomono Yakamochi dramatically, “a media box” and a molding of the symbol of the seasons
- 1-11-11 Fushiki-ichinomiya, Takaoka-shi, Toyama-ken 933-0116 Japan
- +81 766-44-5511
- April–October 9:00am–6:00pm, November-March 9:00am–5:00pm
(no entry is permitted 45 minutes before closing)
- Tuesday (or the following day if it falls on a national holiday), the year-end and New Year (from December 29 to January 3)
- Parking provided (capacity of 54 private cars and 7 large-sized buses)
Take the Kaetsuno bus (Kofu belt line or Fushiki belt line) from JR Takaoka Station on the JR Hokuriku Line for 25 minutes to get off at Fushiki-ichinomiya bus stop and walk 7 minutes.
20 minutes by car from JR Takaoka Station on the JR Hokuriku Line.
5 minutes by car or 25 minutes walk from JR Fushiki Station on the JR Himi Line.
25 minutes by car from Noetsu Expressway Takaoka I.C. or 20 minutes from Takaoka-kita I.C.
- “The Yakamochi Theater” introduces the life of Otomono Yakamochi, “The Garden for the Season” arranged with about 70 kinds of Manyo plant.